With the medical marijuana industry exploding in the US, there’s every chance you’ve heard of CBD oil.
Is there a relationship between CBD oil and menopause, and what is CBD oil?
What Is CBD Oil?
Cannabidiol (CBD) occurs naturally in industrial hemp and marijuana plants. (1)
CBD oil is a cannabis oil that’s rich in CBD but very low in THC. THC is the main psychoactive constituent in marijuana and CBD oil contains only trace amounts of THC.
In plain English, using CBD oil won’t get you high. (2)
CBD interacts with the body through the endocannabinoid system. This system regulates balance in the body relating to the functions of sleep, mood, hormone regulation and immune response. (3)
While CBD oil is still being studied, it’s suspected to have a broad spread of health benefits. There have been over 20,000 studies into its potential role in addressing a range of medical issues. (4)
Before we move on to the role of CBD oil and menopause, we’ll address the legal side of things…
Is It Legal?
As long as CBD oil is derived from the industrial hemp plant, it’s legal in all 50 states. Hemp contains no more than 0.03% THC.(5) CBD oil that comes from the marijuana plant can actually contain far higher levels of THC. Legality here differs from state to state. (6)
Is It Safe?
Even in relatively high doses, CBD is oil is considered to be safe for humans to take.(7) It’s also not toxic in any way like many pharmaceutical alternatives.
How Do You Take CBD Oil?
There are several different preparations so opt for the one that best fits your preferences:
- Pure CBD Oil
- CBD Topicals
- CBD Liquids
- CBD Tinctures
- CBD Capsules
Now you’ve got a broad overview of CBD oil, how can it help during menopause?
Common Symptoms Women Use CBD Oil To Treat
Menopause symptoms range from the tiresome to the really troublesome. While the jury is still out on whether or not CBD oil can relieve hot flashes, there are many other areas where it can be used to positive effect…
- Sleep: CBD oil has potent sedative properties. Whether you have insomnia or interrupted sleep as a result of hot flashes or any other night time problems, popping a few drops of CBD oil on your pillow or even applying it directly to your chest can help you get a better sleep. (8)
- Mood: Mood swings are frequently experienced by women during the change. Low estrogen levels can impact negatively on your mood. Estrogen rounds up cannabinoids so it makes sense that cannabinoid therapy can help redress this imbalance. (9)
- Anxiety: Too much stress can leave you feeling anxious when you’re menopausal. CBD hemp oil can help to alleviate these menopause symptoms. If you’ve heard the opposite, that cannabis promotes paranoia and anxiety, don’t worry – that’s the THC, not the CBD. (10)
- Skin Care: There are certain topical CBD creams that can help to reduce wrinkles and encourage oil production in the skin. CBD also has potent anti-inflammatory properties. Since your skin takes some serious punishment during menopause, this could be a great way to fight back.
- Heart Health: There’s growing evidence that CBD oil can be beneficial for your cardiovascular health. While further studies need to be made here, there are definite possibilities for CBD to help out when it comes to heart health. (11)
- Bone Health: Your body needs estrogen for strong bones. As you go through menopause, you’ll produce less and less estrogen. This can lead to osteoporosis. A 2009 study showed that a cannabinoid treatment helped to prevent bone loss after surgically induced menopause. As with most aspects of CBD oil, more studies are needed but the evidence so far is promising. (12)
- Supplementing HRT: One of the most common ways to treat the symptoms of menopause is to undertake a course of hormone replacement therapy (HRT). While this can be highly effective, it’s not without its risks. Although there’s no firm evidence in place yet, CBD is believed to have some effect fighting cancer cells. As mentioned, it can also be a strong ally against heart problems. CBD seems to be worth considering as a treatment option. (13)